Dear Residents of the Town of Elmira,
I am Dr. Mushtaq Sheikh, and a candidate for a Seat for the Town of Elmira Board. I came to Elmira in June of 1974 with my wife and infant son to interview for a job as Emergency Room physician at St Joseph’s Hospital. Elmira has been my home for the past 47 years. That 9 month old son I mentioned above became a physician and a cardiologist and served our country in the US Air Force for 10 years, achieving the rank of Lt Colonel. I have always been so proud of him for serving our nation.
Below are highlights of my experience and commitment to our community:
1) Democrat since becoming U.S. Citizen 1983; attended DNC Conventions in 2008 (Alternate Delegate to Hillary Clinton) & 2016.
2) Distinguished Citizen’s Award from Corning Glass and the Economic Opportunity Program of Chemung and Schuyler Counties (EOP).
3) Ten time award winner of the Applause Plus Award for Excellence of Care from the Arnot-Ogden Medical Center (AOMC).
4) Served in several key leadership positions at AOMC, Chemung County and NYS, including: Chairman of Dept. of Medicine, Bylaws Committee, President of Medical Staff; twice President of Chemung County Medical Society; delegate to Medical Society of the State of New York for more than 10 years.
I also served 10 years as Board Member on the New York State Board For Medicine.
5) I was appointed this year to be a Board Member of the Office of Professional Medical Conduct by New York State Department of Health and the New York State Education Department (NYSED), as well as to the NYSED Extended Medical Board.
6) Served as a Board Member of EOP for more than 10 years.
7) Helped operate a free Wellness Clinic under the auspices of the EOP and the Association of Physicians of Pakistani Descent of North America (APPNA) for 13 years
8) Served as Chief of Geriatrics for 4 yrs at the Veteran’s Administration Medical Center in Bath, NY (2009-2013) and President of Medical Staff for 2 yrs (2011-2013).
9) Served twice as President of the Islamic Association of Finger Lakes. Currently serving as (Advisory) Council Member (2nd year of 6 year term).
10) Served on Education Committee of Federation of State Medical Boards.
It would be my great honor to represent you on the Elmira Town Board.